Do you have enough energy for the game? Sometimes golfers run out of steam before the end of the course. Tips for boosting energy and stamina: (Always drink plenty of water and limit sun exposure.)
- Eat healthy small snacks along the way.
- Try drinking a green drink before the game to help prevent an “energy drop” later on.
- Consider herbs for energy and stamina: Herbal adaptogens are tonics that help the body handle stress, build strength and maintain vitality. All types of ginsengs (Siberian, panax, etc.) are used in energizing formulas.
- Aromatherapy: Peppermint essential oil can stimulate and energize. Carry around a bottle of peppermint essential oil and inhale as needed for an energy boost.
Do you have trouble focusing on the game? Mental acuity and focus are important on the course. Tips for mental acuity:
- Take high quality wild fish oil supplements – the brain needs a good supply of EFAs (essential fatty acids).
- Take several slow deep breaths to get more oxygen to the brain.
- Consider herbs that help boost mental acuity: All types of ginsengs (Siberian, panax, etc.), rosemary and gotu kola are used in formulas that nourish the brain.
- Aromatherapy: Rosemary essential oil enlivens the brain, clears the head and even enhances memory and helps fight fatigue. Inhale as needed.
Are you relaxed and having a good time? Becoming stressed out, angry and aggravated can spoil the game for you and others. Tips for reducing stress:
- Eat high quality protein and B Vitamin-rich foods like brown rice and other whole grains.
- Reduce caffeine.
- Get a massage once a month.
- Consider herbs that help relax while maintaining energy levels: A ginseng/gotu kola formula is a good choice; Ginkgo Biloba extract can provide a sense of well-being.
- Aromatherapy: Sage or pine essential oils help calm nervous tension and emotional stress. Lavender provides serenity and calmness. Inhale as needed.
The game of golf makes unique demands on the body – bones, muscles, joints, tendons, nerves and connective tissue are all involved. Lack of energy, stamina and even mental acuity can break a game. Reaching the highest potential in golf requires striving for self-mastery while testing mental and physical abilities. Becoming stronger and developing a healthier lifestyle, clearer mind and more functional body can encourage success and accomplishment both on and off the course.
Before starting any health program or taking any supplements or herbs, seek the advice of a healthcare professional.
Pani Shoja, MD
Urgent Care Hawaii
About Urgent Care Hawaii: Urgent Care Hawaii medical clinics provide immediate and urgent medical care on Oahu for Pearl City, Honolulu, Waikiki, Waipahu, Aiea, Kapolei, Kunia, Waipio, Makakilo, Halawa, Mililani, Kailua and Ewa Beach. The clinics provide quick and affordable options for people needing immediate medical care and treatment for common or everyday health problems seven days a week – no appointments are necessary. The Pearl City location is certified by The Urgent Care Association of America.
Barbara Howard, BH Marketing/PR
1245 Kuala St., Pearl City, HI 96782
Office: (831) 920-2759
Cell/Text: (831) 521-8608